In what has to be one of the most curious product expansions in the outdoor industry, long time camping brand Kelty announced their entry into the burgeoning CBD market last month. Kelty has a deep history of camping and is strongly associated with family outings. The sideways move into CBD surprised not only this editor but others in the space as well.
A Wide Array of CBD Offerings
Kelty didn’t start small. They came out of the blocks with seven THC-free (no more than 0.3% THC) CBD-based products:
- After Sun Lotion 200 mg MSRP $30
- Antibacterial Spray 200 mg MSRP $40
- Itch Relief Spray 200 mg MSRP $30
- Pain Relief Cream 200 mg MSRP $40
- Pain Relief Cream 500 mg MSRP $50
- Pain Relief Gel Roll-On 200 mg MSRP $30
- Pain Relief Gel Roll-On 500 mg MSRP $50
- Pain Relief Salve-200mg MSRP $30
- Pain Relief Salve-500mg MSRP $60
The FDA approved CBD is derived from American grown hemp grown and harvested with organic practices.
But Why CBD?
I was admittedly confused by the move by a brand so recognized in the outdoor industry. But their ad copy made sense; adventure in the outdoors by default means toeing the edge of comfort zones, which can produce aches, pains, sunburns, and other physical irritations that are gladly accepted as the ante to worthy endeavors. And CBD offers a natural avenue to potential relief. Kelty, I’m with you, and kudos for thinking out of the box.