Timex Ironman Run Trainer GPS ReviewJuly 8, 2012
- Large array of features
- Most accurate GPS running watch I’ve tested to date
- Heart rate and foot pod compatible
- Slew of Data Fields
- Long Battery Life at 9.5-10 hrs in GPS mode
- Limited storage capacity but still not bad
- Near normal size but still a bit big for those with tiny wrists
For the money, this is—bar none—the best GPS running watch on the market at the moment. It has a full slate of features, substantial battery life, excellent accuracy, mates with most heart rate monitor straps, and is still very easy to use.
A waterproof GPS running watch with ANT+ heart-rate monitor compatibility, and full-slate of standard data fields and features.
The Timex Run Trainer GPS is Timex’s latest mid-range GPS unit competitively priced with Nike’s +GPS and Garmin’s Forerunner 210. Priced between $189-$225, this unit is the latest in a batch of $200-ish GPS units on the market.
The watch a normal running watch size—much smaller unit than the bulky Timex Ironman GPS, Timex’s first GPS offering. It compares favorably to the Garmin 210 and 610 as well as Timex’s Marathon GPS.
Ease of Use
Starting out a run with the Run Trainer is very simple and anyone accustomed to a generic running watch will have no problems. It has the same standard fields as those found on top GPS watches. (Including: Altitude, Calories, Cadence, Average Cadence, Distance, Heart Rate, Average Heart Rate, Odometer, Pace, Average Pace, Speed, Average Speed, Time of Day, Lap Number, Lap Time, and Split Time.)
GPS and Accuracy
Satellite acquisition was excellent—it took only 45 seconds to acquire satellites initially, with each subsequent run taking about 30 seconds. In terms of GPS accuracy, the Run Trainer was also the most accurate watch I have tested—just 11m short of my standard 5000m track test.
Other cool features some runners will find useful: eat/drink reminders, hands free start and stop, and foot pod compatibility. Overall this is an incredibly valuable product and might even have too many features for most people, but Timex has covered the needs of all runners and done it at an affordable price.
Specs & Features
• GPS-Enabled Watch Measures Pace, Speed, Distance and More in Real-Time
• Fastest and Most Reliable Signal with SiRFstar IV™ GPS Technology
• Highly Customizable, Easy-to-Read Screen Shows Three- or Four-Lines of Data
• Interval Timers, Alerts and 15-Workout Memory
• 8-Hour Battery in Full GPS Mode; Recharge with Included USB Cable
• Compatible with ANT+ Heart Rate and Foot Pod Sensors
• 50-Meter Water Resistance
• Easily Customize Watch Settings on a Computer
• Review Maps and Performance Online
• INDIGLO® Night-Light with Option for Full-Time Illumination