Home » Gear Reviews » Hiking & Camping » Dog Backpacks » Ruff Wear Palisades Pack
Ruff Wear Palisades Pack ReviewJuly 23, 2012
- For such a large volume pack, it stays remarkably secure and balanced.
- The extra features include removable saddlebags, two collapsible water bottles and a five point harness that can be worn alone
- Various pockets to separate gear.
- Well-designed compression system.
- Coated zippers and reflective piping.
- The five-point harness is a little tricky to adjust, but stays secure once done.
- Mini clip that connects the saddlebags around the chest strap is finicky and difficult to fasten.
- Pack might be too complex a pack, with too many features for some people’s tastes (Ruff Wear does sell a simpler Approach Pack).
The Palisades Pack is a great choice for backpacking adventures when the dog will have to carry big loads. The pack stays secure even when weighted, and extra features such as the five-point harness, and collapsable water bottles add to its value.
I was somewhat skeptical that such a large pack, with a feature such as removable saddlebags, would stay secure with a very active dog. The Palisades Pack surprised me and endured the bushwhacking and snow rolling adventures of two very active dogs.
The harness that holds the pack in place is to be put on first and adjusted to fit your dog. The new system avoids some of the older Ruff Wear harness problems that included some loosening of the harness of over time. Although the new system is very secure over long periods of use, it does take some time to adjust it correctly.
I found that the fastex buckle clips to secure the saddlebags to the harness were very easy to use. That said, there are two tiny clips that fasten the bottom of the saddlebags to the armpit strap of the harness that I found awkward. Even if you want to take the entire product off (saddlebags and harness), you still have to undo one of the little clips to access the larger harness clip.
The Palisades pack is for multi day adventures or big day trips requiring large loads to be transported. The saddlebags are removable, leaving your dog in Ruff Wear’s five-point Webmaster type harness. This is useful if you would like to take the saddlebags off for rest times or difficult terrain. With or without the saddlebags in use, the harness can be used to restrain the dog, and is plenty beefy enough for some lifting and support.
The collapsible water bottles are a great touch and fit really well in the pack. The compression straps work well and are worth using to keep smaller loads tight to the dog’s body. It is nice that the straps are hidden away in a pocket to keep the pack streamlined.
Water resistant zippers, handle, reflective piping, attachment points for leashes and lights are all nice, well thought out touches to an already sweet product.
No reviews have been posted for this product.
Use this gear?
Join Gear Nation and leave a review!Create an Account